So much has happened this week, I don't even know where to begin, except to say - this one is going to get long. We had several doctor appointments this week. Emma's first dentist appointment was Monday morning. Being the naive first-time mom of a 3 year old, I honestly believed we would breeze in, get her teeth cleaned and be on our merry way. Boy, was I surprised! She had 4 cavities - one in each of her back molars! Needless to say, I was shocked. Why? Well, because we have brushed her teeth religiously since she has had teeth. Although it has been pointed out to me on occasion that she does have a sweet tooth (guess she got that from her mommy), we do limit the junk food, she drinks tons of milk (makes a body strong, right?). To top it, I didn't have my 1st cavity until I was in my 20's and have had a total of 3 my entire 32 years. I took the news very personally, like I had somehow failed her as a mother. What did I do wrong? Where did we err? But, as the dentist explained, some people are more prone to cavities than others. Some people will never take care of their teeth and never see a cavity. Others will go to great extremes to care for their teeth and continue to meet the drill. So, by Wednesday, we were back at the dentist for the first filling. The dentist wanted to try to get the worst one over with but quickly realized that wasn't going to be the case and went for the quick win. He was able to fill one of the minor ones without even numbing her - she did awesome and we were very proud of her. We have 2 more appointments to go back and finish up - and she now gets a nightly special fluoride treatment. We are hoping to keep those cavity bugs at bay!
Both girls also had appointments with their pediatrician on Monday afternoon. Emma had her 3 year checkup and a Hep-A shot. She weighed in at 30 lbs and measured 36.75" long. She is growing beautifully and the doctor could not have been more pleased with her overall development. Camryn had her ears re-checked, as she has battled several ear infections over the last 6 months. The doctor said her ears looked great and there is no need to see an ENT yet, I sure hope she grows out of these before it goes that far.
And for the fun stuff this week - we bought tickets to take Emma to see The Little Mermaid musical in Denver this fall. She absolutely loves Ariel right now (right Grammy?), so Brian and I are excited to take her. Camryn is a bit young for theatre, so Emma will get a special date out with Mom and Dad. We finally got our office furniture delivered...that we had ordered 2 months ago! It was on back order for the longest time and we were close to canceling our order. I'm so pleased we didn't, it looks great in the office and suits our needs perfectly!
Both girls also had appointments with their pediatrician on Monday afternoon. Emma had her 3 year checkup and a Hep-A shot. She weighed in at 30 lbs and measured 36.75" long. She is growing beautifully and the doctor could not have been more pleased with her overall development. Camryn had her ears re-checked, as she has battled several ear infections over the last 6 months. The doctor said her ears looked great and there is no need to see an ENT yet, I sure hope she grows out of these before it goes that far.
And for the fun stuff this week - we bought tickets to take Emma to see The Little Mermaid musical in Denver this fall. She absolutely loves Ariel right now (right Grammy?), so Brian and I are excited to take her. Camryn is a bit young for theatre, so Emma will get a special date out with Mom and Dad. We finally got our office furniture delivered...that we had ordered 2 months ago! It was on back order for the longest time and we were close to canceling our order. I'm so pleased we didn't, it looks great in the office and suits our needs perfectly!

Other good news - I was saved by the weather this weekend! I've been fighting a chest cold all week and was somewhat thinking it would not be the best idea for me to go out for the last run in my Winter Race Series on Saturday - it was to be a 20k. But, I hate to not follow through on commitments and was going to make myself do it anyway. I was all dressed for the run and ready to head out when I decided to check online one more time and see if it was still on. Cancelled. Blizzard conditions and snow kept the race from being run and I got one more day of recovery. Just what the doctor ordered - I'm feeling much better today and got in 2 decent treadmill runs this weekend in place of one long, cold run!
I could go on, as this week has been eventful but I need to sign off so I'll leave with a few thoughts for some of my friends - lots of prayers and thoughts going out to my dear friend Debbie's mother-in-law, who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. A birthday shout out to our friend Jody Wilkins, we had a great time celebrating with him Saturday night. I also want to wish a very happy birthday to Brian's grandmother Kathryn, who celebrates on Monday, and my grandfather who turns 90 on Friday! We'll be making the trek across Kansas this week to attend my grandfather's birthday dinner and visit with my brother and his family that are coming from Georgia. Have a great week!
3 comments:
I think you forgot one! Doesn't someone else have a birthday this week? :)
Thanks for reminding me Erin :) I stopped celebrating birthdays 2 years ago...prefer to stay 30 forever!
Don't feel bad about the cavities, Joshua has had two, and I felt the same way about my mothering skills. The doctor told us that he has deep grooves in his teeth.
Post a Comment