Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Travel Tales

Home, safe and sound. Trip started off a little rocky with Camryn, desperate to ward off sleep on the evening flight to Seattle. True to her record, she managed to fall asleep 10 minutes before we landed. Ahhh...the joys of traveling with small children. Thankfully, the flight home was MUCH better, with both girls sleeping the majority of the flight - nap time!

Seattle was a super cool city and Vancouver was even better. We made two trips to Pike Place Market that I just found to be an amazing marketplace. The fresh seafood, flowers, produce...the Rainier cherries - yum, yum! We took a harbor cruise of Elliott Bay in the Puget Sound area. The view of Mt. Rainier from the bay was a beautiful sight, the kiddos enjoyed the ride and we got some great pics of the city from out on the bay. Of course, we had to enjoy some fresh seafood during our visit, since we don't get much of that in our land-locked state. Here's a picture of our dinner on the pier.

Now for Vancouver, Brian and I BOTH loved this city. Talk about clean! and scenic with SO much to do in the area. We were only there for 1 day/night, which was just long enough to give us a taste but leave us wanting more. Definitely a destination we plan to visit again for a longer period of time. During our short stay, we got in a trip down to Canada Place, some time at Stanley Park where the children visited a petting zoo and played in the park, enjoyed the public transportation including a bus ride downtown and a SeaBus trip over to Lonsdale Quay Market where we had dinner and the children danced on the pier afterwards. Quite a bit to fit into one day but the kiddos were troopers. Everyone got in their naps and we even managed to fit in a quick swim in the rooftop pool at our downtown hotel. We would love to do the suspended bridge, see more of Stanley Park, take one of the gondola rides, or perhaps one of the seaplane tours. All things to remember for our next visit.

Emma was quite sad to say goodbye to her buddy, Nicholas, and it was hard for me to part with my friend, Molly. But we'll see them again in Mazatlan this fall, what a fun trip to look forward to! I added a picture link, so check out our pics so far from this month.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell our scary story from Vancouver. We had just returned to the hotel after dinner on Lonsdale Quay Bay. Everyone was standing in the lobby as the guys made a quick decision to run over to a store for sodas. Emma and Nicholas were super hyped up (I'm sure due to it being past bedtime and having so much fun playing together). Well, in a matter of seconds, they had dashed off to the elevators, I turn to look and there stands Nicholas with Emma nowhere to be found. Panic sets in. I'm freaked. Luckily, there happened to be a security guard nearby, we see an elevator (there were 4 and we had no idea which one she hopped on) stopped on the 2nd floor. He rushes up the stairs, I hop on the elevator and head to 2. The door opens and there stands my frightened little one, with a lady security guard talking in to the radio, "Mom has arrived, we're good". The look on poor Emma's face. I was so mad at her for running off but couldn't be mad at her because I think she scared herself enough to learn a lesson. That night as we were going to bed, she said "Mommy, I was scared when I got lost on the elevator". I told her how scared I was too and she said "I won't ever do that again". Well, I sure hope not!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

So glad you had a great trip! Now I want us to go! And whoa what a scare with Emma. Even gladder that everything ended ok with that. Where did you stay in Vancouver? Would you recommend it?

Takoma Volpe said...

Wow - you got me teary with the story of Emma's elevator ride. Mia has scared us a few times, but never so much as to completely be "lost", even if for a minute. (Running in front of cars seems to be her specialty.)

Sounds like otherwise you all had a great trip!! I've been to Vancouver twice and have some great memories of it - thanks for helping me relive some of them. :)

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I checked out your blog. I'm glad you enjoyed Seattle and Vancouver, they are a couple of our favorite cities. And great idea about the golf lessons. It's always fun to have a couples game now and again. Good luck! Scheri