Monday, October 15, 2007

One more win, Rockies are in

Goooooo Rockies! Yes, I'm on the bandwagon - hehe. Braves fan by heart but Rockies fan by location. This month's run for the title is a great thing for the state, city of Denver and the team that wasn't expected to go this far. Brian and I got to enjoy the Game 3 on a cold, drizzly night which sounds quite miserable but given the atmosphere, was most enjoyable! And - hey - it was a date night, so who can complain about that?? We'll be pulling for them tonight, and hopefully in the World Series.

Yesterday's sogginess really started with the 8am start of the 2nd running of the Denver Marathon. I ran the 1/2, which was plenty, no way would I have wanted to be out in the elements for another 2 hours. Hit pretty durn close to my race goal set earlier in the year for the 1/2, finishing in just over 1:50. Totally made a rookie mistake of going out faster than a pace I could maintain for the entire race, but I just got so caught up in the excitement. I love big races because of the big crowds and buzz, I'll have to remind myself in my next big race (Atlanta marathon - March) to better pace myself. My friend, Rose, also ran it and hit her race goal of sub-2 hours - good job girl! Denver opened it's race to the Chicago Marathoners that got caught by the heat few weeks back, just for them to come to town for the extreme opposite. There was no lack of water on this course, that was for sure. All in all, great race. Enjoyed the course, lots of turns so there weren't long straightaway stretches. Got to run around the major city parks, great crowd participation (even in the rain!), organization was top notch as well. Definitely one I would recommend.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Go Rockies - I am pulling for them over the AL team that gets in. Very exciting!

nancy said...

OH Julie!!! I wanted to tell you how freaking AWESOME it was of you to run the 1/2 marathon!!! I'm ~so~ very proud of your running abilities. To be a mother of two little girls AND have a full time job that isn't a walk-in-the-park job AND to run. It's just so inspiring. Sure, anyone could get out there and practice and run. But you do WITH WORKING such an important job! You are amazing and here's a ~kudos~ to you!!!

and ... GO ROCKIES!!!