Today started out a little differently than our usual week days. Camryn's teachers indicated yesterday afternoon they thought she might have pink eye, protocol: get her into a doctor to have it checked out before she returns to school. Makes sense, great precaution. (Note: mommy didn't really think she had pink eye, she's been fighting off a head cold for over a week and eyes can get irritation from these viral episodes). Nonetheless, first on my list of things to do this morning was call as soon as the phone lines opened and get her in quickly to see a doctor to confirm what I already suspected, get our note, head on our happy way to work and school.
Don't get me wrong, we've been through this routine before. Suspicious rash, get it checked out before returning. Raspy cough, get it checked out before returning. What was different about today was it dawned on me that these quick calls to the doctor office for a quick check before resuming normalcy may be quickly drawing to an end. I could soon be waiting days, or even weeks, to get in to see the overly booked doctors busy seeing patients that could soon be going to the doctor for things they wouldn't normally go in for. Or, I could choose to wait in an outrageous length of time in a crowded emergency room to get a quick check up (of pink eye?) in order to get us back on our merry way. Don't know what I'm talking about? Stay tuned, it's coming soon to a theater near you.
Don't get me wrong, we've been through this routine before. Suspicious rash, get it checked out before returning. Raspy cough, get it checked out before returning. What was different about today was it dawned on me that these quick calls to the doctor office for a quick check before resuming normalcy may be quickly drawing to an end. I could soon be waiting days, or even weeks, to get in to see the overly booked doctors busy seeing patients that could soon be going to the doctor for things they wouldn't normally go in for. Or, I could choose to wait in an outrageous length of time in a crowded emergency room to get a quick check up (of pink eye?) in order to get us back on our merry way. Don't know what I'm talking about? Stay tuned, it's coming soon to a theater near you.
No comments:
Post a Comment