Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Shack Controversy

I just finished reading The Shack a few days ago. Several times since, I have come to this blog itching to say something about it and leaving shortly thereafter without typing a single word. Guess that's what they call writer's block? I just couldn't find the words to describe my thoughts on how this book affected me. Actually, I still can't because my mind is mulling it over and my heart is still adjusting. One of my book club friends, Angi, had recommended this read. I think I might have heard about it briefly in the paper or something but really didn't know much about it. Always up for checking out a new read, I ordered it. The Shack is fiction, but just like many other fictional books I've read in the past, there are lessons or messages that can be abstracted and applied as seen fit.

Not knowing how to articulate my thoughts on this book, I started looking around on the web to read what others thought about the book. Wow! Apparently, this book has sparked quite a debate in theological circles with some calling it heresy and other's defending the fictional story that attempts to portray God's love and healing power in a way that has apparently struck a nerve. I agree this book is discussion worthy, which is why ALL of my book club ladies are now reading it so we can talk about it at our next meeting. I'm also certain we won't all agree on the messages found within, but we'll all listen to each other's thoughts with open minds and clear hearts.

In reading other's comments on this book, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that was deeply touched. Some of the accusations that the author had an ulterior motive within or that the book is inaccurate (remember, it's fiction), is a bit absurd but hey, to each his own. These people are free to debate against the book, just as others are free to hear them out (or not) and create their own opinion. If you have read this book or plan to read it, I would recommend checking out this blog to get a general idea of where the author and those who helped him were coming from. Then you can google and find many other discussions, some of which are quite interesting...and perhaps a bit far-fetched. Nothing like a great book to spark great debate!

Read on my friends!

3 comments:

Takoma Volpe said...

Ooh, I always love reading great fiction books that spark great debates. I'm getting it tomorrow! Thanks!

Amanda said...

I didn't get much time to read over the last week so I am halfway through it...hope to finish this week. The mind is already churning though...:)

Anonymous said...

A friend and I were looking at this book just yesterday...I'll have to pick it up next time I'm at the book store, sounds interesting! I also checked out the blog you linked, thanks! I'll let you know what I think :)

~Adria