Friday, November 7, 2008

Light as a feather

After my last post/rant, which drew some good discussion, this will cover some lighter updates on the fam. Thanks though for those of you who commented. I don't get a huge group of readers, mostly people I know in real life, but I love having intellectual discussion with folks and hearing other's opinions!

This week has been a light one for us, much needed after last month's craziness. November has some fun and exciting stuff in store, but it is still calmer than October. Last week, we received 4 invites to classmate birthday parties, so not this weekend but the two after, we'll be busy with those. My big event for next week is the Madonna concert! Apparently, this is the first time she's ever performed in Denver? Is that really true? I'm going with a couple of girlfriends, should be good fun! We won't get to CS Philharmonic Nutcracker ballet over Thanksgiving weekend, since we'll be in Las Vegas so I'm looking at some of the other performances around town to take the girls.

One big thing that does start this month is the school visits to figure out where Emma will attend kindergarten next year. She's at the top of the list to get into the charter school that we've heard so many good things about, and they are holding an informational session next week. I had mentioned this process back during the summer, and can't believe it is upon us already! I checked the dates on registration for the neighborhood school and that starts in early January, so we'll need to get over there for a tour soon.

Brian is pretty much set on her starting at our neighborhood school because he thinks that is where all of the neighbor kids are going, plus he gives me the whole "public school was just fine for us". I haven't quite been able to explain to him that all of these schools around us are public and in our district, they just use different teaching methods. Also, in talking with other neighbor moms, quite a few actually send their kids to this charter school and the other close-by option, which is a "learning through the arts" school. He has agreed to at least go and check out the others, so that is good. I know, I know - I'm probably putting way too much thought into this but I'm actually nervous about what government education is providing to our kids these days. I see more and more parents going the co-op/home school route (Debbie!) or private school (if they can afford it), and see some validity to why they are doing so. We aren't really considering the latter options right now, because we do have good choices around us, so on with the exploring!

I'll leave you with some pictures from last weekend. We had friends over to watch the GT vs. FSU game - yay, the Jackets won! The kids were in the backyard raking leaves for us, bonus! You can also see what a beautiful early November weekend we had here in Colorado.






1 comment:

nancy said...

I had to click back to see if that was really a picture of Camryn. Holy moly. I just don't understand how our babies grew into kids already.

I'm sending Ella to a charter school most definitely. But you know my choice was much easier than yours, you know where I live!