Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanks-Giving

I know it's early, with Thanksgiving two weeks away. But we should find things to be thankful for everyday, right? For that reason, I bring you one of Emma's favorite songs right now. I hope and pray that we can raise our children to always be thankful, recognizing how fortunate they are and finding ways to help those less fortunate.

Oh, the Earth is good to me,
And so I thank the Earth,
For giving me the things I need,
The sun and the rain and the apple seed.
The Earth is good to me.

It's never too early to start teaching this lesson. The girls both took in food this week for their school's food drive. Each classroom is collecting in the room, which will be followed by a lesson and then each child will get to walk their donation down to the school box at the front. This was a nice twist to the usual way of just putting a donation box at the front where mostly parents dropped the donations.

It's that time to start thinking about what this holiday season will bring. Let's hope it's so much more than an overabundance of picked over toys and too much eggnog. Give Thanks.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

That song take me back to our girl scout meetings when I was little. We used to sing that song before snack, except instead of Earth, it was Lord.

Jules said...

Yah, they taught this song at school, so kinda goes back to what I talked about last week. There are many children from different backgrounds and this is a secular school, thus the variation :)

Takoma Volpe said...

We sang the same song when I was a kid whenever we visited our cousin's house. They still sing it every night before dinner (with Lord too).

Thanks for the memories!
:) Laura

nancy said...

I've never heard that song. I'm going to make you sing it to me tomorrow.