Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Colfax Half Marathon

Well, since my fellow running peep blogger put up a race report on Colfax, I'll add my two cents. Said fellow running peep ran MUCH better than I on Sunday. Not my day, not my race. I haven't dwelled on it too much, since this race has not been my focus. I'm trying to keep my mind on the Triple Crown of Running, which will be my toughest challenge this year.

Back to Colfax. The week of the race started and ended with tending to sick children, along with both me and hubby sick with the same stomach flu in between. With only a single running effort under my belt for the week...plus a couple of days of little to no eating, I was either bound to have an awesome race - or crash and burn. My body chose to do the latter.

The adventure started off great. I headed up to Denver on Saturday afternoon with two of my Beans, where we met up with others at the expo. Pretty weak expo, so we picked up our bibs and headed on to the hotel to get checked in, before meeting the whole group for dinner at Tokyo Joe's. I had the Boulder Veggie Bowl and some edamame, both of which seemed to fill me up. I was having problems on Friday getting full. I guess that's what happens after not eating for a few days, or maybe I have a tape worm? On the walk back down 16th Street to the hotel, we stopped off to grab a frozen custard from Good Times. Fuel - check!

We all tried to get to bed at a decent hour, but my room was having too much fun telling stories and giggling to actually settle down for the night. We finally ordered a fan up to our room to get some white noise, or drown out our laughter, I'm not sure which. Either way, we got a few hours of zzzz's before the early wake up call. Up, dressed and off to the race course we were. Sleep - no check!

We got portapottied and bag checked just in time for the start, where we were far, far in the back of the crowd. I actually felt okay at the start and spent the first two miles dodging people to get out of the crowd. Around mile 3 is when I started to fade. Pretty sad, considering I know I can maintain my stamina for much longer than 3 miles. I started the dreaded run/walk cycle, and along came one of my running beans. The very one that helped me see the finish of 26.2 in Vegas, we were now destined to see each other to the finish of this debacle of a "race". Never quite got into that race mode, and just chalked it up to another 13.1 of endurance training. Stamina - no check!

Bonuses: another fun adventure with the Beans (and our Weenies), another 13.1 finisher medal and 2 hours in the sunshine after what seems like an endless winter.


We didn't end up with a picture of all of us, after one Bean hit the medical tent post-race, the amazing race to find our car and so on. Above pic is missing a few Beans and a Weenie. I had intended to launch a new blog for the adventures of Team Beanie Weenies after Colfax.....but I'd like to start with more of a BANG, so maybe after Bolder Boulder? Plus we have new cute shirts on the way, what more could we ask for?

6 comments:

Sonal Modisette said...

it was a tough race all around - but what an adventure :-). Love the pic - we'll have to get one in Boulder with our new shirts. onward - BB and then the TCR (scared)!!

Amanda said...

I sure wish I could find some running buddies close by; y'all seem to have so much fun and what a great support system to get through those tough miles. Hope you are back to 100% and you can enjoy the BB.

Jules said...

@Amanda - I sure wish you were closer, you'd fit right in with our running group. Miss u!

Unknown said...

Sometimes it is hard to balance training & mom-wife-ness... glad you listened to your body & went for a fun-filled endurance run with the Beanies & the Weenies. :) -cw

Jeri said...

you look pretty darn cute for running 2 hours in the sun. :)

Jennifer said...

Good attitude. There will always be a bad day here and there, but there will also be a good one right around the corner I'm sure! On-on!