Our week started off with a bang! House struck by lightning. This is a view of the hole in our roof - attic view.
Thankfully, nobody was home and we were all safe. I was supposed to be golfing with my Tuesday night nine-hole ladies group and Brian was working out so the girls were with him. Golf had been called after two holes, due to lightning, so we were inside waiting it out. The storm was violent, thunder and lightning right on top of us, and flash flooding in the area. After it passed, I was just about to head back out with the ladies for a few more holes when Brian called and said I might want to come on home, he was pretty sure our house had been struck by lightning.
I arrived home to find most of the damage contained in the master bath. It struck the bathroom vent on top of the roof and came through the vent, knocking the vent off the ceiling and blowing out the switch on the wall. There is also some mirror damage in the master bath.
We were also very lucky the house didn't burn down. We had a floor fan running in the master bedroom, which blew out. But apparently, the cord was touching the floor vent, which heated up and singed the carpet around it!
We have great insurance in USAA, so there was some relief in knowing that after our deductible, the damage repair will be covered. We are, however, rescheduling a trip that we had planned for next week, since the contractors are going to be in and out getting the house back in order. I'm a little bummed about that, but we have company all this week, so we'll be ready for a quiet week (aside from the workers, I guess!)
There is another house in our neighborhood that was just struck on the 4th of July. Yes, the lightning around here is that scary. So thankful the damage wasn't worse, this too shall pass.
3 comments:
Holy Cow, Julie! I'm so glad you all are OK - how scary! I hope the putting it back together part is quick and relatively painless. :)
Wow, and I thought the tree in our yard was bad! I'm so glad you all are safe.
wow! scary. glad you are all safe.
Post a Comment