Wednesday, September 19, 2007

One person's trash, another person's treasure

I read something that caught my attention today. In short, someone was commenting on their future career and made the comment that they've done the corporate/high paying job thing that was a non-meaningful career (in their eyes) and now that they are older and wiser, they need to find a more meaningful career.

I found the comment thought-provoking, particularly because it once again reminds me that our lives are what we make of them. This includes the opportunities that we choose or do not choose to take advantage of.

From my perspective, (and yes this is my biased opinion -that's what this forum is for, right?) we ALL can find meaningful and positive ways to impact other's lives - and our own - no matter what path we choose to follow. Sure, the money in high tech is nice reward for my self-funded engineering education. But this is not what drives me in my career. I get so much gratification out of helping my staff to expand their knowledge and mature in their abilities, this includes technical depth and breadth, as well as those softer skills - professionalism, communication, collaboration. It joys me to no end to see my team excel and succeed. Personally, as I am helping them to succeed, I am growing as a person, manager, leader, teacher, team member. I learn so much every day from them and thoroughly enjoy the mentoring side of my position.

Don't get me wrong, there are tough, challenging, frustrating moments. I don't know if there is a career out there without these. And even if there were, I wouldn't be a good fit for it because I thrive on challenge. I guess this goes hand in hand with my personality to make the best and look for the positive in my daily life.

So, it just goes to show that non-meaningful to one person is meaningful to another, depending on how one chooses to use their opportunities. No matter what career a person opts for, one can find meaning, purpose and growth if they make a concerted effort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your thinking -- and, I would challenge this person to find purpose and meaning outside the workplace... are they volunteering? Helping others at church, etc. -- to me, that's where people who have been blessed with good and rewarding jobs can most make an impact!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you are still making time to check out my website! I have to agree with you, what one person finds meaningful may not be the same for another. To speak to Amber's comment, yes I have been finding time to volunteer often. I also agree that volunteering is extremely important!

And on another note - Harsha said he saw you running and you are looking good. Keep it up!
Scheri

Jules said...

Thanks for the comments from both of you ladies. I found it unfortunate that someone that knows me thought this post was in some way directed at her. In somewhat questioning my integrity, this person also reminded me why I selectively keep the circle of friends that I have. I don't need people in my life that think of me as that type of person.

Regardless, the true point to this post was that people can find meaning/purpose in anything they do, and ask the question as to whether lack of meaning is actually a lack of trying. That's what provoked this thought when I picked up on the comment in my Working Mother magazine (great mag, by the way). I'll be sure to quote my source next time, so as to not stir insecurities in others.