Tuesday night was one of my favorite evenings of the month, book club night! I hosted this month and we were gabbing about both The Shack and Keeper and Kid. Keeper was a light read, a little humorous, a little sad but overall not too deep. We actually picked it for this very reason because we had been reading such serious books for a while there. Every now and then we have to mix it up with a fluff read. The Shack sparked some great discussion though and the most interesting topic was how individuals reading this book seem to pick up on different messages depending on what the person happens to be going through in their life at the time. Some might pick up more on the message of forgiveness, while others might pick up more on the message that good things can and do come out of bad events. I think that is the way books speak to us in general, what strikes one person may not strike another just because of personal experiences. One of our bookies pointed out that this is a good one to go back and read later on because there is more to get from it that you can't get in the first go-round.
The discussion led us into talking about Paying it Forward. To be honest, I can quite recall how we got there...could've been the wine? But later on when I was thinking about it, I started examining times in life when someone has payed it forward to me or when I have payed it forward to someone else. It could have been anything, a book :), advice or wisdom, help after a new baby, morale support. But I wonder, does it have to be something you do for a stranger or someone you might not know very well for it be considered paying it forward? I guess what I am asking is it really paying forward when you share something with a friend or family member because you love that person. Maybe it is? Because your act of kindness could inspire them to turn around and provide an act of kindness for someone else. Also, does it have to be a big idea that makes a huge impact? I'd be interested in what others think.
Great stuff at book club, though. Our small group of four has been going strong for three years now - wow! Here's our list of reads we have lined up for the next several months:
Shoe Addicts Anonymous - light read for December!
1 comment:
I think that paying it forward is when you help out someone who you do not know. I expect my friends and family to help me out when I need it and vice versa. I would always be there to help them out - no questions. A lady stopped me today after I picked Nick up from the bus and told me that she saw Nick today at a function at school and that he was very good and ran (school fundraiser) the entire time. I look at that as paying it forward because is not gaining anything from telling me that. Just my thoughts.
Post a Comment