It's official, I am taking a real break from running. Aside from two race PRs (8M Winter Series run and Summer Roundup 12k), this year has been a tough running one for me. I find myself in a continuous struggle to get past this plantar fasciitis, which has led to me posting a less than desirable Atlanta Marathon time and my two worst 1/2 Marathon times this summer.
This morning's Autumn Color Run in Buena Vista finally got through my thick skull and convinced me to stop being so stubborn. The first 7 miles, I felt pretty good since this section of the course is predominantly downhill and on gravel/dirt trail. Once we hit the pavement, though, and the terrain leveled out, the pain started to kick in. It is no longer just in my heel but also in the ball of my foot. Seriously feels like someone is stabbing it with a knife. I hobbled (walked and jogged a bit) through the last 5.5-6 miles which gave me plenty of time to convince myself that this break is much needed.
Good news is I've got a pretty good cross-training routine right now. I try to get in at least two cycling classes a week, one yoga session and pilates with wonderful Joe just started back last week. I need to get in some quality strength training and can add another cardio session to the week to round it out nicely. My biggest hesitation to going on break with running has been my fear of losing fitness but I now realize that the break can be good and allow me to focus on other aspects of fitness and overall health. My passion is running but I have not been feeling that way lately, since it seems every time I go out, I end up in pain. That is no way to continue on. I want to love it again.
On a bright note, it was so great to see my buddy Jennifer today! I'm sure she'll post a less than glamorous picture of us once she returns home. The drive over to Buena Vista gave us some time to catch up with each other. Jennifer decided to do the 10k today, given that she's expecting and hasn't been feeling well enough to run lately. She made a friend at the starting line to run with and felt good, so I was happy for her! The views in Buena Vista were fabulous, very scenic and the aspens are turning, making it all the more so. We also stopped off for a frozen mocha on the way home to top off our little excursion - yum, yum!
I read an article today that stated "bless all situations that come into your life for the lessons and gifts they bring you". If I can look at this break in this light, I know I will come out stronger in the end!
No comments:
Post a Comment