3 weeks to Vegas, baby! Kathleen, Mandy and I finished our longest runs yesterday morning, while the weather kindly cooperated. 21.5 for Mandy and I, 14.5 for Kathleen. Lessons learned: #1 - do not eat a giant chocolate cupcake after lunch, that makes you not hungry for dinner and then proceed to skip dinner before a long run. Duh ~ I really already knew this but was not expecting that I would absolutely not be hungry for any sort of food later in the evening. Started to feel a little tanked towards the end (of course, it was lunch time and my PB toast had definitely worn off) and just could not force another gu down after ingesting three already. Better food planning is in order for the next 3 weeks, as we taper and prepare for the big dance.
Lesson #2, do not let Kathleen kick your butt in a pilates room the day before the marathon. Shouldn't be a problem since we'll be in Vegas, but let me just say we were all upper body sore going into this run. When you start to get fatigued and need to rely on your core and upper body strength, it helps to not already be sore in those areas.
Good news is legs feel stronger with each 20+ miler we have done. Very minimal soreness/tightness, which just makes me so excited! I've enjoyed this training cycle so much, thankful to the great group of gals at my side.

2 comments:
can't believe the race is almost here...my training is not great, I've done the miles but missed so many months with injury that I'm just going to try to enjoy finishing. :)
I'm so excited to see how the race goes for you. :) You are kicking butt with your training.
Post a Comment