As previously mentioned, I've been dealing with hip pain while walking/running/hopping, basically anything with impact for over a month now. Real bummer since Triple Crown training was just heating up and these were supposed to be my big races this summer season. I took a week completely off, had a fairly light week with one short run and the Garden 10-mile race, then last week went back to three runs (keeping the downhill portions easy). Three weeks ago, I also started seeing an A.R.T. (Active Release Therapy) specialist, thinking the injury was soft tissue and he could help work it out. In the meantime, I wanted to rule out bone injury, since it would just be stupid to keep pounding on a bone injury and wreak more havoc on my hip.
The initial x-ray did not show anything, so the Dr ordered an MRI, which I had run last week. Aside from almost pushing the panic button in the MRI machine (I'm a little claustrophobic), I was hopeful that this was all just to ease my mind and the results would not show anything. I actually went into the Dr appointment yesterday still thinking this was all just a formality. So, I was taken by surprise when the results showed the hip bone is stressed and given two options: Let it heal on it's own (which could take 3-6 months) or put pins in to expedite healing. Ummmm, no surgery, please. I was a little confused since there was no fracture present (yet), but realize that without giving the bone time to completely heal, I am quickly headed in that direction. Especially with all the downhill pounding included in my training these days. This article also gave me a little more insight into "Stress Injury of the Bone". It says "The majority of "stress fractures" diagnosed do not demonstrate a fracture line and technically are not well termed as a stress fracture." Dr said absolutely no impact activity for the next six weeks, then I'll go back in for another check-up. I could be out longer but we are on a wait and see right now. I can walk, swim, bike....as long as there is no pain.
It took me a few minutes after we left the Dr office to digest what he had just told me. But when I called hubby to tell him the news, I lost it. I'm sobbing and telling him I just finished with the appointment. His initial reaction is to think the worst, not realizing that to me, at that moment, it was the worst news I could have gotten. No. Running.
So, I'm out of my summer races. I did ponder and look at past race results to see what pace I would have to keep to hike the next race - Summer Roundup Trail 12k - just so I could stay in the Ascent, that is two months away. But it's just not the way I wanted to do these runs. More than half of the experience for me is the training, the time and hard work I put in with my buddies. I don't want my first Ascent experience to be an under-prepared, half-assed attempt. There is always next year, it's just not worth trying to get through these on a hurt hip and A) Making it worse, B) Not enjoying it the way I want to.
Bummer all around. I'm sad, I cried several times last night and I'm sure there are more tears bottled up in here. But, trying to find the silver lining. I see glimpses of it here and there. Things could always be worse, eh?
6 comments:
Oh my gosh I feel horrible for you. :( I'm sure all of the hill pounding you do out there can't be helping. So sad. You'll be healed up and better than ever soon, but I'm sorry you have to put your love for running on hold. :'(
oh honey, i'm so sorry about your hip. but it's better that you take care of it now and let it heal, than having it actually fracture later and take even longer. hugs!
So, so, so sorry. I know that running means a lot to you. No words are going to make it feel better right now, but try to enjoy the rest of the summer with the girls and let your body heal. I'll be thinking of you!
Hey Jules - I am so sorry about this news. I know I would feel the exact same way you do now. If there is a silver lining it is you now have a "free pass" of sorts to try something else and sustain it for a while - like biking or swimming. Then we'll be reading about your first TRI experience soon enough :) Hang in there, hug your girls, and you'll be back stronger than ever very soon I promise.
Oh Julie, so so sorry to hear this. You should talk to my friend Sarah -- my running buddy here who has now had two surgeries for herniated disk. She is fabu at finding the silver lining. Want me to share her email address? I know it seems like forever but you are the resourcefulness queen -- you will find a happy place while you heal and you will run again. Love to you, friend!
So sorry to hear the news... sending prayers and speedy healing your way. :)
Post a Comment